You know those “mile markers” along highways? Yeah, them. Wikipedia states, “Milestones are constructed to provide reference points along the road. This can be used to reassure travellers that the proper path is being followed, and to indicate either distance travelled or the remaining distance to a destination.”
Modern milestones along highways also reflect, which is what we humans do when we reach one. We consider the span traversed and perhaps ponder the proper path proposition (sorry, the cheesy alliteration was irresistible…). In some cases we calculate the remaining distance to a destination…
Obviously what’s really important is everything between what gets measured… The infinity of life lives between those markers and they reflect to remind us to live as if every single moment is a milestone. What milestones have you experienced lately? Here are some of mine.
- An unsolicited, “I love you” from Maddy one morning this week as I left for work.
- The crushing blow (not) of a 1-3 Red Sox start.
- Seeing two of my favorite bands in 6 days.
- The bright beauty of fire.
- Megan’s job joy.
- Professional affirmation.
- The girls.
- The Kronos cafeteria featuring Buffalo chicken wrap and Italian Wedding soup on the same day!
- A beer with my brother.
- July in April.
- Red cleats.
- The spiritual void of a home without that little life.
- The sweet destruction of a chainsaw.
- Being there.
- Right now.