It’s January 7th and many resolutions have been crushed under the gravity of undisciplined us. If pressed to resolve, a vague “live more” would be my response, but what does that mean?
- Love – Do I have to explain this one? A dreamer once wrote it’s “all you need.”
- Give – Whether family, friend, foe or total stranger, if you’re not contributing to their well being, then the reason we exist eludes you.
- Laugh – Just looking in the mirror should be good for a few. While you’re at it, make others laugh. A lot.
- Cry – It’s soul cleansing, moisturizes dry eyes, and provides good contrast to make laughter all the richer.
- Try… new things – I’m counting the eel I had last night, and cross-country skiing is on the list.
- Create – Experiment with food, words, crayons, watercolors, wood, fabric, light or any other artistic medium.
- Read – Feed your head with words and the images you create from them. Right now I’m nibbling “Dr. Quantum’s Little Book of Big Ideas – Where Science Meets Spirit.” I hope to have a fusion reactor built by the time I’m finished. The stimulation of reading and learning will help you ideate (I know… not really a word, but I’m in Marketing.) or solve problems completely unrelated… I promise. It will.
- Machine shop – Don’t hate me because I lost weight over the holidays… I’m down nearly 25 since last Memorial Day thanks to like-minded co-workers and a desire for healthy longevity. Now I want to finish downsizing and buy some clothes.
- Live Local – Support local businesses. Move your money to a local bank or credit union.
- Travel – Just go… anywhere you have not been. Boston is one hour from me and I’ve never walked the freedom trail. Paris in the springtime is a dream that needs realization.
- Open – Another holiday self-gift is “The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism.” I have a reason to believe, but I offer no guarantees except my eyes are now open.
- Nothing – Getting back to a vacuum means you can fill it anew.
That’s all I’ve got, but I’m um, open to suggestions. What are you doing to live more?